As the DeFi industry grows and more decentralized exchanges emerge, the demand for real-time DeFi data is increasing. Therefore, several analytics platforms have emerged to meet this rising need. Read on to learn about two such platforms – DEXTools and MoonTools – and how they compare with each other.
What Is DEXTools?
DEXTools is a decentralized application (DApp) that provides a wide range of trading features to users of decentralized exchanges (DEXs). On the platform, you can access real-time data from DEXs on 20+ chains such as Ethereum, BNB Smart Chain, Solana, Avalanche, and Polygon. Also, DEXTools users can explore trading pairs on different chains, swap tokens, create price alerts, discover new live pairs, and access pool information. That means you can use DEXTools to analyze and execute all your DEX trades in one place.
Users need DEXT to access all subscription plans and unlock more features. DEXT is the utility token of DEXTools built on Ethereum (ERC20) and BNB Smart Chain (BEP20). You can buy this token on Uniswap and Pancakeswap.
How Does DEXTools Work?
DEXTools aggregates real-time data from DEXs due to its robust data feeds. As a result, traders can access reliable stats through the tools below to execute their trades.
- DEXTboard: This is a dashboard with data from various exchanges. Traders can view a list of the biggest gainers and losers, recently updated token social media accounts, and exchange activity in the last 24 hours, 6 hours, 1 hour, or 5 minutes. The dashboard displays the volume, price, price variation, and total liquidity of trading pairs, among other stats.
- Live new pairs: This tool shows new pairs listed on exchanges. The data available tells users exactly when these new pairs were listed, the price in USD or ETH, the initial liquidity, total liquidity, and pool amount. You can use this tool if you’re looking for new trading pairs. Data on new live pairs is also accessible via the DEXTools Telegram bot.
- Pair explorer: With this tool, you can view 10 hot pairs when using the free plan. You’ll need to upgrade to standard or premium to view more hot pairs. Pair explorer also allows traders to swap tokens as long as they have sufficient DEXT balances in their wallets. Besides swapping tokens, you can study pool information and the project’s DEXTscore. For instance, if the pair is trading on Uniswap V2, you’ll see the DEXTscore it has received. Traders can use pair explorer to get price alerts and to view their positions and the swaps they’ve made. You can also vote for pairs if you are a subscribed user.
- Big swap explorer: You can use this tool to view a list of the latest big swaps on each chain. The list also includes valuable data like the exact time when the swap was executed, the total amount in USD and ETH, and whether it was a buy or sell trade.
- Multiswap: Multiswap is a place, where you can trade as many pairs as you want at once. The tool allows you to add several token pairs to swap at once.
- Stats: DEXTools stats ranks the hottest pairs per exchange.
You need to connect a DeFi wallet to swap tokens and access standard and premium features. Wallets that are supported are Binance Chain Wallet, MetaMask, and WalletConnect. After connecting your wallet, verify it to prove ownership, and then proceed to use any of the tools mentioned above. You should have 1,000 DEXT in your wallet at the time of login to subscribe to the standard plan. Alternatively, you can pay $100 in DEXT every month. For the premium plan, you require 100,000 DEXT.
What Is MoonTools?
MoonTools is a data explorer for DEXs that supplies users with useful trading data. It displays data from decentralized exchanges on numerous blockchain networks, including Ethereum, Avalanche, Polygon, and BNB Chain.
MoonTools shares a few similarities with DEXTools. For example, traders can swap multiple tokens at once, set up price alerts, and view new pair listings. Moreover, subscriptions require users to hold tokens. In this case, you need MOONS tokens, which are based on Ethereum and Polygon. Looking at MoonTools’ social media accounts, the last social media update was posted in May 2022.
How Does MoonTools Work?
At the time of writing this guide, MoonTools seem to be inactive as it was impossible to connect a wallet and execute trades. Moreover, data on the application is also unavailable. However, here are the features visible on the app:
- Pairs: Traders can explore the existing pairs on different exchanges. They can also view the newest listings and create a list of their favorite token pairs.
- Multiswap: This feature allows traders to add multiple pairs to swap at once in a single view.
- Wallets: The wallets feature enables users to save and watch wallets.
- Alerts: Users can set up price alerts to receive them on Telegram.
The paid plans on MoonTools are basic and pro tiers. The former requires users to hold 5 MOONS, while the latter demands 100 MOONS. You can purchase MOONS on Uniswap V2.
MoonTools has been working on building the MOONS DAO to drive community governance to allow MOONS stakeholders to vote for key platform proposals. However, given the app’s inactivity, it’s questionable whether the team behind the platform will follow through on these plans.
DEXTools vs MoonTools: A Comparison
Both DEXTools and MoonTools aggregate, analyze, and deliver helpful data to DEX traders. But certain differences stand out. Here is a clear comparison:
|Audience||DEX traders||DEX traders|
|Where can you get it?||Launch app on browserAndroid||Launch app on browser|
|Plans||Free / Standard – Hold 1,000 DEXT (~US$100*) / Premium – Hold 100,000 DEXT (~US$10,000*)||Free / Basic – Hold 5 MOONS (~US$9*) / Pro – Hold 100 MOONS (~US$180*)|
|Training||DEXTools Academy on YouTube||None|
|Customer support||EmailTelegram, Discord, and Twitter||Telegram, Discord, and Twitter|
|Data availability||Instant||*Currently unavailable|
|Token utility||Plan subscriptions||Plan subscriptions|
* Data on MoonTools was unavailable at the time of writing (July 6, 2022)
In this comparison of DEXTools vs MoonTools, DEXTools is the better DEX analytics platform. That is because data is instantly available, and it supports a lot more chains. Traders are also guaranteed real-time data due to the platform’s regular frequency of updating information. Case in point, the DEXTboard shows exchange activity in the last 5 minutes, 1 hour, 6 hours, and 24 hours. With such high-quality services, it is no wonder that DEXTools plans are on the pricey side. Nevertheless, the free package gives users access to real-time data and charts and a few other useful features.
Conversely, MoonTools is unreliable since data is currently unavailable on the platform, the login button is inactive, and the social media update date back to May 2022.
MoonTools appears to have been a popular project until November 2021, when it released the last application version (v1.2.0). After that, activity dwindled briefly until February 2022, when the team announced efforts to revive community engagement. However, these efforts were short-lived given the platform now seems to be missing in action. It is currently unclear if operations have stopped temporarily or permanently.
What Are DEX Analytics Platforms?
With the rise of DeFi, a handful of DEX analytics applications have emerged to provide DeFi traders with insight into the decentralized trading markets. DEX analytics platforms provide on-chain trading data from leading blockchains and decentralized trading protocols.
Is Trading on a DEX Safe?
Trading on decentralized exchanges enables users to stay in control of their private keys, making it – in a sense – more secure than trading on centralized exchanges. However, since DEXs are powered by smart contracts that could be vulnerable to hacks or operational errors, decentralized trading does carry a certain degree of risk.
Having said that, the most reputable decentralized exchanges are widely considered safe as their smart contracts have been audited multiple times. Nonetheless, some risks remain.
Do You Need DEX Analytics Platforms to Trade on DEXs?
No. You don’t need additional insight into the DeFi markets to trade on AMMs or other forms of decentralized exchanges. However, analytics tools can help you get an edge over other traders.