Curious about what you can buy with Bitcoin or other cryptos? Today, BTC extends beyond simple transactions. You can use Bitcoin to purchase goods and services online, for travel bookings, gift cards, food orders, charitable contributions, and even high-end luxury items.
What can you purchase using Bitcoin?
Bitcoin has become a household name over the last couple of years. So, what exactly does it mean to buy something using Bitcoin? How much does it cost? And where can you spend your coins?
Even though not every business or organization intends to introduce Bitcoin as a payment option, a few top organizations have started taking the initiative. As more regulation comes into play and people get more comfortable using cryptocurrencies, we might see more players in the market.
Below are the most active categories of items you can purchase with Bitcoins.
If you’re in the market for a new car, you might be able to use Bitcoin to purchase one. Although most car dealerships and manufacturers don’t accept cryptocurrency payments, several companies do, including:
- AutoCoinCars: AutoCoinCars is an online platform that specializes in selling cars and accepting cryptocurrency as a payment method.
- Bitcars: Bitcars is a luxury car dealership that facilitates car sales with cryptocurrency. They offer high-end luxury and exotic cars from prestigious brands, and customers can buy these vehicles using cryptocurrencies.
- Post Oak Motor Cars: Post Oak Motor Cars is a luxury car dealership located in Texas, USA. They are known for accepting cryptocurrency as a form of payment for their luxury vehicles.
While many major airlines remain cautious about accepting crypto due to its inherent volatility, some stand out as enthusiastic advocates for embracing these alternative payment methods.
List of platforms offering crypto payments for flights:
- Travala: Travala is a travel booking platform that allows users to book flights, hotels, and other travel services using various cryptocurrencies.
- Crypto Air Tickets by Binance: Binance, one of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, offers a service called “Crypto Air Tickets” that allows users to book flights using cryptocurrencies.
- Cheapair.com: Cheapair.com is a well-known online travel agency that accepts cryptocurrency payments for flights. They have been one of the pioneers in the travel industry to embrace cryptocurrency payments.
Please note that the availability of these services and accepted cryptocurrencies may vary over time, so it’s always a good idea to check with the respective platforms for the most up-to-date information.
Besides buying physical goods, crypto also allows users to pay for subscriptions. You can pay for services such as VPN and premium subscriptions through your crypto.
Here’s a list of providers that accept cryptocurrency payments for subscriptions
- NordVPN – A leading VPN service that allows users to pay for subscriptions using cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin for enhanced online privacy and security.
- ExpressVPN – A popular VPN provider that accepts Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies as payment options for secure and anonymous internet access.
- Time Magazine – A well-known news publication that offers cryptocurrency payment options for subscribing to their premium content and articles.
Technology and e-commerce products
E-commerce platforms have also embraced cryptocurrency as a payment method, providing users with additional flexibility and convenience. Customers can use cryptocurrencies to purchase various products and services, from electronics to domain registrations.
List of e-commerce platforms accepting crypto:
- Overstock – An online retailer offering diverse products, including furniture, electronics, and home decor, where customers can pay using cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum.
- Namecheap – A domain registrar and web hosting provider that allows users to purchase domains and hosting services using cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin.
- NewEgg – An online electronics retailer that accepts Bitcoin as payment for various tech products, including computers, laptops, and gaming accessories.
- ExpressVPN – Besides offering VPN services, ExpressVPN accepts Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies for subscription payments to protect users’ online privacy.
- AMC Theatres – The popular cinema chain that enables customers to use Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies to purchase movie tickets and concessions.
- Shopify – A leading e-commerce platform merchants use, offering integration with various cryptocurrency payment gateways to accept crypto payments for products and services.
- Rakuten – An online marketplace that accepts Bitcoin as a payment option, providing access to a wide range of products, including electronics, clothing, and more.
The video game sector is increasingly using cryptocurrency as a payment option. This allows players to buy games, downloadable content (DLC), in-game items, and related products using digital currencies. Faster transaction times and increased security are some reasons why both developers and players might opt for cryptocurrency.
Moreover, certain gaming platforms are utilizing blockchain technology. This ensures unique ownership and verifiable scarcity of in-game assets, potentially enhancing their value.
List of video game platforms accepting crypto:
- Enjin Marketplace – Built on the Enjin blockchain, this marketplace enables gamers to buy, sell, and trade in-game items and Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) using cryptocurrencies.
- Bitrefill – This platform enables gamers to purchase gift cards with cryptocurrencies, which can be redeemed on various gaming platforms like Steam, Xbox, and more.
Insurance companies are exploring cryptocurrency payments, giving policyholders more ways to settle their premiums. Across various insurance types, this move diversifies payment choices for customers.
List of insurers accepting crypto:
- AXA Switzerland – The Swiss arm of AXA, a European insurance giant, accepts Bitcoin payments for several insurance products.
- Atupri Health – Atupri Health is a Swiss health insurance company that accepts Bitcoin payments, offering crypto payment options through Bitcoin Suisse.
- Metromile – Metromile, an auto insurer based in San Francisco, also accepts cryptocurrency payments.
Although there aren’t a lot of clothing retailers that accept Bitcoin payments, there are a few that do.
- Etsy – An online marketplace for handmade and vintage items, including clothing, where select sellers offer Bitcoin payments for their products.
- PacSun (Pacificsun) – This clothing retailer allows customers to pay with Bitcoin through supported payment processors, offering a cryptocurrency option for trendy apparel.
One of the most common ways Bitcoin shows up in real estate transactions is through home listings. Many agents and sellers have been using this strategy to create more interest in their properties and attract more buyers.
List of real estate providers accepting cryptocurrency:
- Burnet Title – A real estate title company based in Illinois that accepts cryptocurrency payments for real estate transactions, providing an alternative payment method to their clients.
- Clear Title Group – A Florida-based real estate title company that embraces cryptocurrency payments, offering greater flexibility for buyers and sellers in the real estate market.
- Cornerstone Title – Located in Northern California, Cornerstone Title facilitates real estate transactions with the option of accepting cryptocurrency payments, catering to the evolving needs of the modern real estate industry.
As the adoption of cryptocurrencies continues to grow, more real estate providers are likely to explore cryptocurrency payment options to cater to the preferences of tech-savvy clients. However, checking with individual providers for their current payment methods and policies is always advisable.
Donations to non-profit organizations
Bitcoin has become a popular choice for donating to non-profit organizations due to its ease of use, global reach, and transparency. Many charitable organizations now accept Bitcoin to support their causes.
List of providers:
- UNICEF: The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund accepts Bitcoin donations to help children worldwide.
- Red Cross: The Red Cross allows donors to contribute to their humanitarian efforts using Bitcoin.
- Save the Children: This non-profit organization dedicated to children’s rights and well-being also accepts Bitcoin donations.
Food and dining
Bitcoin users can enjoy various food and dining experiences by ordering from restaurants and food delivery services that accept cryptocurrencies.
Here are the food and dining options for using Bitcoin as a payment method:
- Chipotle: Customers can enjoy their favorite burritos and bowls at Chipotle Mexican Grill by paying with Bitcoin at select locations.
- Whole Foods: A major grocery chain, Whole Foods, accepts Bitcoin through a partnership with Flexa’s SPEDN app, making it possible to purchase groceries with cryptocurrencies.
- Baskin-Robbins: Ice cream enthusiasts can indulge in sweet treats at Baskin-Robbins by using Bitcoin as a payment option at participating stores.
Bitcoin adoption has extended into education, allowing students to access top-notch learning experiences and academic resources using cryptocurrencies.
List of providers:
- Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania: One of the world’s most prestigious business schools, Wharton, allows students to make tuition payments and donations using Bitcoin.
- BrightChamps: An innovative online learning platform that accepts Bitcoin payments, offering a range of educational courses for students of all ages.
Other ways to spend Bitcoin
Crypto-enabled gift cards
The world of gaming is embracing cryptocurrency as a viable payment method for acquiring gift cards. Gamers can now use crypto to buy gift cards from major game platforms such as PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, Google Play Store, and Steam.
Other popular choices include Razer Gold Gift Cards for in-game items, Fortnite V-bucks for virtual currency, and gift cards for renowned mobile games like League of Legends, PubG Mobile, and Roblox.
Even hardware and gaming accessories are accessible with retail gift cards from Fnac, GameStop, and MediaMarkt.
The process to purchase these gift cards is simple: select your region on a website offering these services, choose the desired gift card, pick your preferred cryptocurrency for payment, and accept the terms and conditions.
You’ll receive the gift card in your email upon successful payment. You can also send gifts in the form of Bitcoin or NFTs to your friends and family.
Buying VPS with Bitcoin
A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a virtual machine provided by a hosting company that gives clients their private space on a server.
In web hosting, Bitcoin is gaining traction as an alternative payment method. Service providers like Ultahost and Hostinger now accept Bitcoin. A select group of providers bypasses traditional contracts, aiming for user anonymity. These companies provide contract-free services, focusing on core features while ensuring user privacy.
How does a Bitcoin debit card work?
Cryptocurrency debit cards, like those from providers including Bitcoin and PayPal, offer users an option to spend digital currencies. Unlike traditional debit cards linked to bank accounts, these cards are associated with cryptocurrencies. Users preload them with digital currency; when used, the corresponding merchant receives fiat currency.
Since the inception of Bitcoin, its network has enabled secure storage and transactions without traditional banking. While it may not yet be commonplace to buy real estate or stocks with Bitcoin, it’s evident that this digital currency has made a significant mark on online transactions. Users must recognize the scope and limitations of Bitcoin in this context.
What is Bitcoin?
Bitcoin is a decentralized digital currency, without a central bank or single administrator, that can be sent from user to user on the peer-to-peer Bitcoin network without intermediaries. Introduced in 2009 by an unknown person or group of people using the name Satoshi Nakamoto, Bitcoin was the first cryptocurrency and remains the most widely recognized and used.
Does Amazon accept Bitcoin?
Amazon does not accept Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency as a payment method for its products or services. However, you can buy Amazon gift cards with Bitcoin and then spend your BTC on Amazon.
Can I buy a house with Bitcoin?
Yes, buying a house with Bitcoin in certain situations is possible. Some real estate transaction services, like Burnet Title and Clear Title Group, have begun accepting Bitcoin. However, the seller must also be willing to accept Bitcoin, and the legal and tax implications can be complex.
What cryptocurrency besides Bitcoin can be used to buy regular everyday items?
Several cryptocurrencies apart from Bitcoin can be used to purchase everyday items. This includes Ethereum (ETH), Tether (USDT), and Enjin Coin (ENJ), among others. The specific cryptocurrencies accepted will vary depending on the retailer or service provider.